I think we’re all pretty enthusiastic for 2020 to come to an end but New Year’s Eve can bring fireworks, causing distress for many dogs.
Fireworks fear among dogs is pretty normalised but that shouldn’t mean we are helpless to do anything about it!
Even though we have next to no time before the midnight celebrations, by planning, being proactive and preparing now, we might be able to help our pets experience less distress.
The full emergency-relief program is here: Dying of Fright.
Top Ten New Year’s Eve Safety Tips for Dogs & their Humans
- Be proactive!
2. Set up a safe bunker for your dog!
3. Stock up on the BEST toys and treat!
More on Stuffables here.
More on chews and chewing here.
4. Have a treat-party for every BANG!
5. Close windows and curtains, and turn the sound up!
6. Have a plan for walkies, outings and toilet breaks!
Sniffathon rules here!
7. Talk to your vet.
8. When dogs are stressed, then may be less tolerant. Keep a close eye on interactions with kids and other pets.
9. Keep party treats and decorations away from pets!
10. Comfort your dog!
Consult #100daysofenrichment for lots of ideas to keep your dog busy and entertained.
Happy New Year, stay safe & well!